‘The oldest church in Hammersmith and the only loveable one, although cheaply built and shabby”
A brief history of St Peter’s church
These days it is hard to imagine, but back in 1829 St Peter’s Church stood in solitary splendour, surrounded on all sides by meadows, market gardens and smallholdings.
The new church faced out upon a T-junction formed by Black Lion Lane, which ran southwards until it reached the Upper Mall by the river and an unfinished road leading west into St Peter’s Square.
Residential dwellings and commercial buildings were to gradually replace the fields and farms as Hammersmith flourished during the remainder of the nineteenth century.
Want to find out more?